Friday 7 September 2012

Friday First - Interview with Angela Brookens


In the spirit of my Four Seasons of Friday I'm starting with a first - my first interview.  I thought it would be nice for my first interview to include a fellow Glasgow Etsian and Craftfester.  And I was delighted when the lovely Angela Brookens agreed to be my first interviewee.



Angela has a beautiful and varied portfolio featuring still life, pets and portraits, scottish landscapes and a mediteranean series.  She lives and works in Glasgow regularly visiting family on the Isle of Arran where she gets a great deal of inspiration.

Angela is taking part in CRAFTfest this week, the online Craft fair that started on Saturday 1st and runs through to this Saturday the 8th.


So keeping it short and sweet I asked Angela a few questions:

Did you always want to be an Artist?

When I was younger I never really thought it was possible to make a living as an artist so although I knew painting would always be a part of my life I didn't really seriously consider it as a career.

Did you go to art/design school?

I went to Cardonald college to work on my portfolio for a year. I was accepted into Glasgow School of Art to study International Product Design but unfortunately I didn't complete the degree and went to University instead.

When did you make your first sale?

When I finished college I displayed some of my paintings from my portfolio at the local library. A lady contacted me about a pastel drawing I had done of shoes and jewellery. She bought it from me for £20!

And how did you feel?

I was elated to think someone would pay to have a piece of my artwork. I still get the same feeling every time I sell something.

Do you have your art on display in your home?

No. I have one painting hung up but only because it was taking up space!<br />

Is there one person in the world you would like to see buying your work?

Not really. You never know who it is going to appeal to. <br />

Where do you find your inspiration?

From objects around me and my imagination. Also from holidays by the sea and the Scottish landscape.

And what may not seem relevant..... What is your favourite piece of music/song?

That's a hard one! I'll have to just pick a random one I like- Cosmic Love by Florence and the Machine

What is your favourite colour?

Lava red

What is your favourite season?

Summer


You can find Angela's gorgeous work at:

And
On Etsy at:


and until Saturday at her CRAFTfest stall.

Have a look at some of her work here:




Happy Friday

Catherine at The MacsX







4 comments:

  1. Lovely blog, really enjoyed reading about Angela. Made me laugh when she said she doesn't have any of her art in her own house. I'm the same, I rarely make anything for myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon I only just started hanging some of my own work at home not too long ago. And I have wearing my jewellery - a little bit of self promotion can't be a bad thing. Besides if I'm not willing to wear it why should anyone else. Cx

      Delete
  2. Nice blog.
    That Craftfest stall link will still work after Saturday as well.
    Lu

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...